Attention: Dog Flu Cases are Confirmed in Brooklyn!
Dog Flu has been confirmed in over a dozen cases in Brooklyn, NY. Here are some important facts you need to know to protect your pet, yourself and your family!
- Dog flu is a highly infectious respiratory disease caused by canine influenza virus and dogs can be contagious for over 20 days.
- Dogs, cats, ferrets, and guinea pigs are all susceptible to dog flu. Certain types of dog flu can transmit to people as well.
- Dog flu is spread through direct dog to dog contact and via indirect routes such as shared toys or water bowls.
- Clinical signs of dog flu include coughing, fever, lethargy, sneezing, and in some cases pneumonia and dogs can be infective for almost a month.
- Vaccination is proven to be an effective way to prevent disease. com is a great resource for additional information.
- Dogs are particularly at risk if they attend the groomer, dog parks, day care or boarding.
Please call us today at (201) 288-7800. We want to make sure your pet is protected with the proper vaccine. Let’s work together to minimize this dog flu outbreak.